Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Around this time of year, it is so easy to get caught up in the holiday shopping madness – Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday.  Some of you may be wondering why I didn't write about these days and all the ways you can save.  My reason:  every day is Black Friday for me.  There are always great deals to be found, and you can do it without losing sleep, getting trampled on, or maced over an item (in case you didn't hear, that really did happen this past Black Friday).  

I believe that the best Black Friday deals you will find are on electronics, but let me tell you about the great finds I have come across this past week on electronics at my new favorite place to shop – 1/2 of 1/2 off County Line by Walmart.

As mentioned in a past blog, 1/2 of 1/2 is a salvage store, which means that it gets in items that have been damaged.  Sometimes that just means the packaging has been damaged, sometimes that means the actual item has been damaged, and sometimes everything is in perfect condition.  I just advise you to examine each item before purchasing it.  The store’s return policy on electronics is that if it doesn't work the item can be returned for your money back.  The return policy on all other items is that you can only receive store credit.  

Since Amazon.com was the most popular site for Cyber Monday, I will compare the prices of the items I found at 1/2 of 1/2 to the same items on Amazon.

1/2 of 1/2 had Keurig coffeemakers last week.  The large coffeemakers (K-cup Home Brewer) were going for $45, compared to $105 on Amazon.

Unfortunately, by the time I noticed one of the coffeemakers in another woman's buggy and ran to the back to grab one for myself, only one remained, and a gentleman was standing over it staking his claim.  However, he kindly pointed out that the store still had plenty of the Keurig Mini personal coffeemakers left.  SCORE!  I grabbed a black one for my brother and sister-in-law and a red one for myself.  The mini ones were only $25!!  By comparison, Amazon has them listed at $100. 







I decided that the following week I would need to be at 1/2 of 1/2 on Wednesday morning when the doors opened (they are closed Monday and Tuesday to unload new items.)  Although 1/2 of 1/2 did not get in any more Keurigs, it still had some great items.  My mom got a handheld camcorder for $30 (as opposed to $80), just in time to capture those sweet moments of my little cousins ripping open their Christmas gifts.  Speaking of which, I was able to snag a Disney Princess Barbie and Horse for $8.  The same day I saw the exact same Barbie at Walmart for $30.





I got my family this five-in-one stereo system for $58.  Amazon has it listed for $170.

  

I racked up on a few other great electronics, too, but I can't give away what will be in our family Dirty Santa gift stash.  But let me just say that our spending limit is $30, and there will be people fighting over these gifts!  

Now, I simply cannot write a blog without talking about fashion/clothes/accessories.  Recently, I have had the most fun raiding friends’ closets and putting outfits together for them as well as taking note of their sizes so that I can be on the lookout for great finds!  I recently found a pair of Michael Kors suede boots for $69 for a friend who has trouble finding shoes for her size 5 foot!
I also found a Kenneth Cole motorcycle jacket for only $50 for a guy friend who was not having any luck finding what he wanted within his price range.  That being said, if you would like for me to start keeping my eyes open for great finds for you, just send me your sizes, favorite colors to wear, and style (sporty, chic, Bohemian...).  If I find something, I'll text you the info, and you can let me know if you want it.  

If you like to go on treasure hunts yourself, great!  I should let you know that 1/2 of 1/2 has a shipment of Ann Taylor and about 5 racks of BCBG remaining from last week’s shipment.  All the BCBG pieces, except dresses, are $29.  The prices vary on the Ann Taylor apparel.  Again, just make sure that you check the items for damage.

Until next time,
Happy Hunting

No comments:

Post a Comment