Saturday, October 1, 2011

Intro to Bargain Shopping


Have you ever looked up the word "shopping" in the dictionary?  Well I did, and here's what I found:
verb (shop-ping)
       1. to go to a store or stores to buy goods    
       2. to look for the best available price or rate for something (shop around)


Upon reading this I realized that it breaks my heart a little to know that people just follow definition #1 without even considering #2.  To me, #1 is boring and kind of a waste of money, while #2 is like an adventure, essentially- a treasure hunt!


I love a good deal and in todays economy who doesn't?  But unfortunately, people tell me all the time that they just don't get lucky finding things like me.  Well, I say it's not about luck.  Bargain shopping is an art and this blog is to teach you how to become an artist.


Bargain Shopping Rule #1:  Go with an open mind.
I think the biggest mistake people make who try bargain shopping is looking for something specific.  Finding a bargain is about having an open mind and letting yourself be surprised by what you find.


Bargain Shopping Rule #2: Know your merchandise.
Many people complain that they don't have time to 'shop around' but if you know that TJ Maxx carries the same hair products your salon sells why spend the extra $$ at the salon?


Bargain shopping does involve some research and if you are on a hunt for something in particular it may take some time to shop around and find it, but if you are familiar with what bargain shops are out there you can quickly become familiar with their merchandise.

                                                 My favorite Bargain stores  (in no particular order)


TJ Maxx- I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say, "I just don't get it."  What's not to get?!?!  TJ Maxx sells designer labels for a fraction of what department stores sell the exact same items for.


Marshalls- Similar to TJ Maxx but has a larger shoe selection.


Ross Dress for Less- less merchandise to choose from than TJ's or Marshalls but has better prices.


Target- makes deals with top designers to produce a line for their store.  I have found most of their clothes to be pretty well made and a great fit!  Don't forget to check their sale racks!


Tuesday Mornings- not my choice for clothes, but for housewares, crafts, and toys it's great.  They also occasionally get in really nice designer handbags. 


Hudsons- for people who enjoy digging through junk to find a diamond in the rough.  The merchandise is sometime damaged and it's very hit or miss but I love it all the same!  


These are just a few tips of the trade, I'll be back to share more later but for now,  I'll send you on your way to great money saving finds.  Please make sure you share them with me! (If you are a first timer, I recommend trying TJ's first.) 


Happy Hunting!



A few of my favorite finds


$30 ESCADA Dress found at TJ Maxx


Dolce and Gabbana Sunglasses found at Marshalls for $40


$7 boots found at Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment